Wednesday, March 9, 2016

12345 Challenge

The 12345 challenge continues--here it goes!

One: What has been your one biggest struggle this year?

My biggest struggle this year has been moving to a new school. While I absolutely LOVE Star Academy, it’s always challenging to be in a new place. I’m definitely still figuring out where everything is and how everything works here, but I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of it!

Two: Share two accomplishments you are proud of from this year.

This year I jumped into GLAD wholeheartedly. I had some fabulous (if not a little overwhelming) GLAD training earlier this year and I’ve been able to implement many of the GLAD strategies in my classroom. I love seeing how effective they are for my students and I can’t wait to add even more to my teaching toolbelt!

I’m also really proud of the social-emotional education that I’m giving my students. Social-emotional learning is HUGE in kindergarten and I take it very seriously. While we’re always striving to get better, I’ve seen some huge growth in my students. They are frequently able to solve problems independently, they’re more often able to empathize with others, and they’re really improving their abilities to stay calm in situations that upset them. I’ve even helped several students transfer out of behavior plans. They are now independent and intrinsically motivated learners!

Three: What are three things you wish to accomplish before the end of the school year?

I want to continue to learn about and try new GLAD teaching strategies. I am finally starting to feel like I’m mastering the “classics” (the pictorial, the sentence patterning chart, and the chant). I’m definitely ready to try some new ones. If the three-inch GLAD binder that I have is any indication, I don’t think I’ll run out of new ones to try anytime soon!

I want all of my students to see themselves as writers, regardless of their skill levels. I want to help my students build confidence so they can move past the fear of spelling something wrong. I want to help them understand that writing is about primarily about ideas, not spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Last, I want to try out some flexible seating in my classroom. I think my students would really benefit from seating choices like standing desks, floor pillows, and wobble stools. Flexible seating will help them practice problem solving (“But I wanted that chair!”), gain independence, and become aware of how they learn best.

Four: Give four reasons why you remain in education in today’s rough culture.

I stay in education because of the kids. I love my kindergarteners! They are sweet, loving, and hilarious. They do so many things that warm my heart and make me smile. Even when I have a “bad” day in kindergarten, it’s never that bad.

I stay in education because it is a constantly changing field. There’s always new information to teach, new techniques to try, and new technology to pilot. I am constantly teaching but also constantly learning. This year, I’ve learned a whole lot about technology in the classroom. New devices like Beebots, new tools like Google Photos, and new apps like Chatterpix have helped me try out new teaching techniques and modify my existing lessons for the better.

I stay in education because of my school. I’ve never seen another school like Star Academy. We have no textbooks. Instead, GLAD helps our students make leaps and bounds in literacy while still engaging with science and social studies curriculum. Teachers are given autonomy in the classroom and are encouraged to try new ideas. We have an amazing principal! She dances with her disco ball karaoke machine every morning at drop off, supports her teachers with curricular and classroom management concerns, and will even teach lessons for her teachers. We love technology! We have the computer lab, iPads, Chromebooks, Beebots, Spheros, flying drones, and more. And we have dedicated staff to help us integrate this tech into our lessons. I could go on forever, but the point is, I love this place!

Last, I stay in education because I have no idea what else I’d do! I’ve been a classroom volunteer, aide, or teacher since the sixth grade. This is my hobby and my passion, and I’d never choose to do anything else.

Five: Which five people do you hope will the take the challenge of answering these questions?

Brooke McAvoy
Sabrina Mandujano
Samantha Lucky
Jessica Miller
Britanni Manning

No comments:

Post a Comment